Friday, September 3, 2010

So much activity, so little blogging time...

And we're back to a new year! Actually, we started 9 days ago, but I'm only getting around to blogging about it now. In case you were wondering, I'm not planning on blogging daily this year like I did last year, but I'll try for once a week.

This year, we're using Sonlight for just about everything except math. We're using Core K, Science K, and Language Arts 1, and continuing to use Math on the Level. Over the summer, P took violin lessons from a Ukrainian woman who came highly recommended by a friend at church. However, we decided that paying for both violin and ballet would be pushing it, so I'm going to continue teaching her using The Violin Book.

My general plan is to get through Language Arts 1 (and Handwriting Without Tears 1 for P and Pre-K for E) this academic year, but stretch Core K and Science K over 2 years. This is because K is labelled as appropriate for ages 5-7 and grades K-2, and E will be turning 5 and starting K next academic year, while P will be 7 and in grade 2. I'd like to keep P and E combined for Core (Bible, history, and read-alouds) and science, for simplicity's sake, so I don't want to move ahead of what E is ready for. I'll separate them for math and language arts, but try to do everything else together. This is working well so far - we do math and language arts daily, but alternate days for core and science. The only disadvantage is that P likes some of the books so much, it's hard for her to wait an extra day to read more. I'd say that's a good problem to have.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane! I'm excited to see you back to blogging, and I'm excited to see how SL is working for you! I started homeschooling Rachel for real about 6 weeks ago, using SL (Core P4/5, HWT pre-K and now K, Language Arts K, Singapore Math Earlybird, and dabbling with the piano).
    I've been doing a lot of trial and error so far...and as a result I'm not following the instructor's guides very closely anymore! We have the same problem...Rachel just wants to read more and more once we get started; same with workbooks. So I'm going with a loose mental plan, then keeping detailed records of what we actually end up doing. Working for us so far.
    Looking forward to reading about your adventures!

    ReplyDelete